At Mercer, we love to hear and share stories of how God is moving and transforming lives because your story could help someone else make a closer connection in our community and with God. We invite you to share your experience of God's faithfulness, love, forgiveness, provision, or deep care.
Not a writer? On the story submission form - on the right side of this page - check "I would like to be contacted by a Storyteller," and we will get someone in contact to help write your story with you!
Upon submission an editor will review your story and contact you with any follow up questions or concerns if necessary.
How to Write Your Story
Step 1: Focus
What is the overarching story? Choose a turning point or defining moment in your life; a problem or struggle; a change of mind or heart; or a significant relationship. A single storyline or idea makes telling your story more manageable.
Step 2: Describe
What's the essential setup or context for you story? Paint a picture of your circumstances and describe what motivated your life before the change took place. You will help people understand and relate.
Step 3: Explain
What happened and why? Bring people along on your journey. Share how and why your choices, attitudes, and circumstances changed. Since your story is ultimately about God, make it clear how Jesus becomes the change-maker — turning a mess into a message, a test into a testimony, a trial into a triumph, a victim into a victor.
Step 4: Reveal
What did God show you about yourself or Himself, and how are you living differently today because of that? Every good story makes sense of the world. This is your opportunity to offer a personal takeaway.
- Be conversational. Focus on expressing your thoughts and feelings, not on the words. We can help edit and refine your story once it is written.
- Be specific. Use concrete situations, details, and emotions. Help people visualize.
- Be honest. Embrace the messiness. Don't exaggerate or sugarcoat.
- Be real. You are a work in progress. So is what God is doing. Don’t feel the need to tie things up in a bow.
- Be simple: Don’t clutter your story with details, tangents, backstories, or people that aren’t really connected to your focus.
Are You Hurting?
Is there a chapter of your story that's not finished yet? If you are in the midst of a struggle and would like to talk to a Pastor, please call the front office at 509-933-7800 to schedule an appointment.
Please note: Not all submitted stories will be published.
Adapted with permission from storytelling resources created by NewSpring Church.